Based on the fighters against which Mayweather has lost the most rounds, Castillo, Cotto, and De La Hoya, I think the blueprint has been well established at this stage.
I think there are five pre-conditions that must be met:
- The fighter must be physically stronger than Mayweather.
- The fighter must have excellent footwork and/or the ability to cut off the ring.
- The fighter must have a tight defence.
- The fighter must have excellent conditioning.
- The fighter must have an above average jab.
I don’t think the fight can be won without any of these.
Bootyuming you’ve got the above in your tool-kit, these are the guiding principles when facing Mayweather:
- Minimise the number of significant exchanges in the round. Five is a high number.
- Trade only in situations where Mayweather is cornered, and from which he cannot easily use his footwork to exit the exchange.
- Your guard in the middle of the ring must be air tight. Otherwise Mayweather will steal the round with potshots even if you’ve won most of the significant exchanges.
That’s the broad template. The key thing for the opponent is that they do not expose themselves to Mayweather’s speed and accuracy in the middle of the ring.
Their objective is to first gain Mayweather’s respect in the physical exchanges, as Cotto did in the shoulder to shoulder shoving matches early on. Let him know that he cannot push you backwards, and that if he tries he’s going to be the one that ends up in reverse. This is absolutely crucial.
The second thing you must do is make Floyd respect your jab. It does not have to do major damage, you are not going to jab your way to victory against Mayweather. You just have to show him you can score with it. The reason for this is that you want to use it to direct Floyd around the ring. You want to use it to make him go where you want him to go, which is backwards, towards a corner.
Is this the beginning of the end for Pacquiao???
Didn’t Think The Olympics Could Be Tainted By Corruption? Check Out Roy Jones Jr. Getting Robbed Harder Than Pacquiao
Take comfort in knowing that Roy Jones Jr became one of the greatest boxers of the last generation and the other dude slowly faded into obscurity. And as for the bribed judges, lets hope they died a slow and painful death in a pit of angry warthogs.
If you missed the fight last night, I got you covered. BIG disappointment on the part of Amir Khan as he gets knocked down in the 3rd and gets a beating in the 4th, which was more than enough for the ref. I wouldn’t say he’s done, but it’s not looking good for Amir.
Some generous dude uploaded last Saturday’s fight, get at this before the powers that be take it down.
I didn’t watch the first episode before I posted it, but Holy Fuk! When did Pacquiao get all religious on us? I’ve been a Pacquiao supporter since day 1, but imma say it, the spiritual advisor might be his downfall.
The best documentary series on TV, hands down. ‘Nuff said, enjoy!
If you want to see the cheater Margarito get his booty whopped by Cotto, look no further, I found and am posting the entire fight for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!