Friends Of Caveman Circus
I am an early retiree. I have been living that life for some time. Many years ago (before it became popular) my wife and I chose to live significantly below our means so we could achieved financial independence. I am now living what you are planning, so I think I can provide more of a sense of the big picture.
Here’s the piece you (and a few others in this thread) seem to be missing… Living below your means isn’t about postponing gratification. In other words, it’s not about giving up products and experiences when you’re young so you can have them when you’re old. That’s not it at all.
What it’s really about is freedom. Most people are, in many ways, slaves. I was a slave. Beginning at age five I was forced to get up in the morning and go somewhere I didn’t really want to go, and do things I didn’t really want to do. Elementary school. Then high school. Then college. Then work. And throughout all those years there was an undertone of fear. Fear that you’ll get in trouble with Mom and Dad if your grades suck. Fear that your performance in college won’t result in a decent job. Fear that you’ll lose your job, and that your family will suffer, if you don’t kiss up to the right people, or meet your quotas, or because some asshole above you decides to eliminate your job… always that nagging worry and fear in the background.
A black Union soldier sits, posted in front of a slave auction house on Whitehall Street in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1864
Contents: A fish, scrambled egg with tomato sauce, rice, spinach, cauliflower, and soup
Country: Buchach, Ukraine
Contents: Soup, macaroni, pickle, bread, sliced hot dog
Back in 2001, photographer Merrick Morton—who also happens to be a reserve LAPD officer—came upon a massive archive of Los Angeles Police Department crime scene and evidence photos which had been hidden for decades in a huge storage facility in downtown LA. The photos were buried among 150 years of police records in cardboard boxes.
When it was discovered that some of the boxes contained decomposing cellulose nitrate negatives, a serious fire hazard, the Fire Department recommended that all the negatives be destroyed. The team lobbied for the archive to be only selectively destroyed and their efforts paid off; some boxes of images were determined to be unsalvageable and destroyed, while the remaining images were sent to a cold storage facility where they reside today.
Detail of two bullet holes in car window Date: 10/10/1942
1. Of course I look familiar. I was here just last week cleaning your carpets, painting your shutters, or delivering your new refrigerator.
2. Hey, thanks for letting me use the bathroom when I was working in your yard last week. While I was in there, I unlatched the back window to make my return a little easier.
3. Love those flowers. That tells me you have taste… and taste means there are nice things inside. Those yard toys your kids leave out always make me wonder what type of gaming system they have.
4. Yes, I really do look for newspapers piled up on the driveway. And I might leave a pizza flyer in your front door to see how long it takes you to remove it..
5. If it snows while you’re out of town, get a neighbor to create car and foot tracks into the house. Virgin drifts in the driveway are a dead giveaway.
6. If decorative glass is part of your front entrance, don’t let your alarm company install the control pad where I can see if it’s set. That makes it too easy.
7. A good security company alarms the window over the sink. And the windows on the second floor, which often access the master bedroom – and your jewelry. It’s not a bad idea to put motion detectors up there too.
8. It’s raining, you’re fumbling with your umbrella, and you forget to lock your door – understandable. But understand this: I don’t take a day off because of bad weather.
9. I always knock first. If you answer, I’ll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. (Don’t take me up on it.)
Handicapped Animals Who Aren’t Letting Their Disability Hold Them Back – Ned Hardy
Golden State Warriors have one weapon…as in, their cheerleaders (71 Photos) – The Brigade
Sofia Vergara Bikini Photo Shoot From 1998 – Celeb Jihad
Amber Rose twerking video – Drunken Stepfather
Kourtney Kardashian’s Bikini Pics from Vegas – G-Celeb
Hot Tub Cinema is the Latest Movie-Watching Experience – My Modern Met
20 Absolute Hottest Instagram Photos of March – Linkiest
These guys hooked up this house for gaming! – Leenks
Some booty to celebrate Hump Day! – Bro My God
What the hell is Rumer Willis wearing??? – Celeb Slam
Could You Handle Being In A Cage This Small For 4 Minutes? How About 4 Years? – Upworthy
Hot blonde showing off her damn tight body – Double Viking
Check out Bryan Cranston’s Platinum LEED certiﬁed house – Home Designing
Once you’ve seen these 20 photos, you’ve seen it all! – World Wide Interweb
Dianna Dahlgren Jiggles Into Tight Pants on Instagram (Video) – Total Pro Sports
20 of the Most Creative Business Cards Ever – Radass
Maria Menounos Displays Her Luscious Legs & Booty On “Extra” – Moe Jackson
These 25 Perfect Packaging Designs Will Blow Your Mind! – Classy Bro
Hot girls who are generous with the cleavage – Bad Sentinel
Chloe is your hot college coed of the day – Big 10 Tens
15 best canned beers – Hi-Consumption
Inside North Korea – in pictures – The Guardian