“Most people, and particularly kids, don't realize that they are in control of their lives and they're the ones that are going to make their decisions and they're the ones that are going to make it one way or the other. Usually adolescence is a time when kids feel that the world is doing it to them, whether it’s their parents doing it to them or their teachers doing it or their friends doing it to them, and that they are the victim of all of this. Somewhere in here, you have to learn that you’re not the victim, but instead you’re the one that’s doing it. That moment is sometimes a long slow realization or sometimes it’s turning on a light switch. All of a sudden you realize you are the person who has control of your life.”
- Jim Henson
Described as the ‘last stop at the bottom of the world’ by some of its 6,000 or so hapless and homeless residents, Los Angeles’ Skid Row is a grim circus of pimps, drug dealers, hustlers and prostitutes. For most of the men and women sleeping and wandering the downtown streets of the City of Angels the idea of divine intervention is as distant as the glimmering lights of Mullholland Drive and the Hollywood Hills. Their stories are easy to ignore, which is what inspired one documentary filmmaker to brave the violent, tent filled sidewalks to reveal life for what it is on the mean streets of America’s second city. Director Shanks Rajendran has really taken guerrilla filmmaking to a whole another level.. This documentary is a expose of skid row – the full 100 minutes. It’s raw, uncut and thrilling.
1. Wearing shoes in the house… What the fuck are you doing? You step in all nasty shit, for example, if you stepped on a fruit then walked all over your living room then thats how you get ants.
2. Advertising prescription drugs. That was the weirdest one for me. “ask your doctor for brand x antidepressants” type commercials on TV. In the UK, your doctor tells you what drugs you should take, not the other way round.
3. Why is bread in the USA so sweet? Sandwich bread, hamburger buns, taste like cake but Americans have no idea what you’re talking about because they’re used to it.
4. Fried sushi. Yep the yanks have gotten one of the world’s healthiest foods and “fixed” it. Fucking delicious though.
5. Soft drink is free flowing, everywhere. McDonalds you get a gigantic cup for a dollar – it comes with unlimited refills. Even at a restaurant if you half finish your coke the waitress will bring you another one. The first time you’re like “hey i didn’t order this” but then you realise it’s free.
6. Portion Sizes
7. Flags everywhere. EVERYWHERE.
8. Price tags without tax included.
9. Tipping: We don’t do it in Australia. For someone who has never had to do it, it was incredibly hard for me to wrap my head about how much is appropriate for the service. I find it especially hard because overall I find the service too pushy.
10. Your toilets are too low down and the stalls have massive gaps around the door so that people can see in. You can put a man on the moon but can’t design a setup whereby I can have a shit in comfortable privacy. Sort it out America.
Leonardo DiCaprio dealing with not having won an Oscar
Taking A Pic Of The Mona Lisa: CHECK
This is the YOLO-ization of cultural experience, whereby the pursuit of fleeting novelty is granted greater value than a patient dedication to an enduring attention—an attention which might ultimately enlarge the self, and not just pad one’s experiential résumé. The notion of the bucket list legitimizes this diminished conception of the value of repeated exposure to art and culture. Rather, it privileges a restless consumption, a hungry appetite for the new. I’ve seen Stonehenge. Next? (Kicking the Bucket List)
A Few Pictures That Will Put A Smile On Your Face - Ned Hardy
The Hot Girls Of Summer – Bro My God
You Can Watch Coachella On – Youtube
This Is The Most Brilliant Way To Get Away With Drinking In Public - Linkiest
Selena Gomez looking hot in a photoshoot – G-Celeb
Ex-Principal: I Paid for Sex With 12,700 Women, Girls – Newser
Portugal addiction rates halved after community, not jail, is trialled as solution – Positive News
Carl’s Jr. Knows How to Bring Sexy to Burgers: Meet Sara Sampaio (38 Photos) – Radass
40 Sexy Girls With Tattoos – Regretful Morning
U.S. Legalization of Marijuana Has Hit Mexican Cartels’ Border Trade – TIME
Justin Bieber and Kendall Jenner are doing it – Celeb Slam
Gay Conversion Therapists Claim Most Patients Fully Straight By The Time They Commit Suicide – The Onion
Funny photos of celebrities absolutely smashed! – Leenks
For One Crazy Day, 7-Eleven Is Letting Everyone Bring Their Own Cups To Fill With Slurpees – Food Beast
Dildo Waver Running Loose on NYC Subway – The Blemish
This rump is pretty much perfect! – Double Viking
Celebrity Ugly Ducklings (Gallery) – World Wide Interweb
Remember when these candies were the bomb diggity back in the day (16 Photos) – Bad Sentinel
30-year-old Russian man, Valery Spiridonov, will become the subject of the first human head transplant ever performed – Science Alert
A motorocycle perfect for running away from it all – The Gentleman’s Garage
Cool online game of the week – Super Smash Flash